- Abolish the death penalty.
- Repeal “three strikes” laws. Restore judicial discretion in sentencing. Abolish mandatory sentencing.
- Establish and fund programs to strengthen self-help and community action through neighborhood centers that provide legal aid, alternative dispute-resolution practices, mediated restitution, community team policing, and access to local crisis/assault care shelters.
- Establish elected or appointed independent civilian re-view boards with subpoena power to investigate complaints about prison guard and community police behavior. Sharply restrict police use of weapons and restraining techniques such as pepper spray, stun belts, tasers and choke holds.
- Prohibit property forfeiture and denial of due process for unconvicted suspects.
- Establish freedom on bail as a right of all defendants charged with non-violent crimes. Incorporate mental health and social services in bail agreements.
- Increase compensation for jurors and provide childcare for those serving jury duty.
- Protect victims’ rights. Ensure the opportunity for victims to make victim-impact statements. Consider forms of restitution to victims.
- Thoughtful, carefully considered gun control such as is contained in the Brady Bill (1993). Eliminate the gun show loophole that permits sale of weapons without background checks. Extend background checks to all private sales of firearms.
Source: Green Party