Due to current conditions when it comes to policing the cities and people, police officers are the 6th leading cause of death for young men in America. More commonly, the greatest lives that are at stake are those of our black, brown, LGBTQIA?+ and disabled, including those with mental health issues when it comes to crimes against persons at the hands of the police. In accordance we recommend the following actions:
- Police Require all police officers to carry professional liability insurance as a requirement to working on the police force.
- That the insurance will act as a mechanism by which we can have officers with histories of brutality and misconduct removed from duty, thereby keeping that person from committing crimes under the protection of the police department; this functions through the insurance company, which will increase premiums and eventually determine that rogue officers are uninsurable.
- Serve as a deterrent to officers taking actions that could result in a complaint against them, as this could cause a premium increase for the officer.
- Prevent the taxpayer from having to foot the bill for police brutality cases, which cost taxpayers millions of dollars.
- Establish a national database to record excessive force complaints, to be used in hiring decisions of police officers.
Source: Green Party