- Ensure prison conditions are humane and sanitary, including but are limited to heat, light, exercise, clothing, nutrition, libraries, possessions, and personal safety. Meet prisoners’ dietary requirements. Ensure availability of psychological, drug, and medical treatment, including access to condoms and uninterrupted access to all prescribed medication. Minimize isolation of prisoners from staff and one another only as needed for safety. Make incarceration more community-based, including through increased visitor access by families. Establish and enforce prison policies that discourage racism, sexism, homophobia and rape.
- Ban private prisons.
- Implement a moratorium on prison construction. Redirect funds to alternatives to incarceration.
- Require that each state prison system install a rehabilitation administrator with equal authority as the highest authority.
- Ensure that all prisoners have the opportunity to obtain a General Education Diploma (i.e. high school equivalency diploma) and higher education. Education has proven to reduce recidivism by 10%.
- Ensure the First Amendment rights of prisoners, including the right to communicate with journalists, write letters, publish their own writings, and become legal experts on their own cases.
- Provide incarcerated individuals the right to vote by absentee ballot in the district of their domicile, and the right to vote during parole.
- Restore the right to hold public office to felons who have completed their prison sentence.
- Conduct racial and ethnic disparity impact studies for new and existing categories of offenses.
Source: Green Party